Skip to main content

Processes and Policies

How do I submit my immunization records?

Visit the Immunization Submission Instructions page for information.

I don’t have a Penn Key yet and I’m traveling to campus soon. What can I do?

Please bring your immunization documentation to campus with you. You can submit it here once you can access the system.

What should I do if I need to request an exemption from an immunization?
What immunizations are required?

You can find the list of required immunizations here on the Immunization Requirements page. 

I can’t find my immunization records; do I need to have my shots again?

If you aren't able to locate your immunization records, you must see a physician so that they can perform a test that will check your blood for antibodies. They can then enter this information on the Student Immunization Record. You can have these tests done at Student Health and Counseling at your own expense, unless it is covered by your health insurance.

How much do my immunizations cost?

Students with the Penn Student Insurance Plan (PSIP) are fully covered for required immunizations. In addition, the Affordable Care Act mandates that essential benefits, including certain immunizations and vaccines, be covered with no cost sharing. Please check with your health insurance carrier to see what vaccines are covered and how you can be reimbursed in the event that you obtain the immunizations at Student Health and Counseling.

I made a mistake on my online form, what should I do?

You should alert our Immunization and Insurance Navigators that the information you submitted is different than the information on your documentation. Your healthcare provider’s documentation is the document of record.

Can I re-submit the online forms?

Yes. Click "Save Partial" to add information in a draft state. Once you click "Submit Final" you cannot access that form again. You can, however, continue to upload new immunization records from this page.

What happens if I don't upload my immunization forms?

Failure to comply with the University’s immunization requirements and to submit the Student Immunization Record and/or the Student Medical History and Consent form will result in having a hold placed on your registration, which will make you unable to register and attend certain classes. If you do not have any online immunization information to enter, please alert the immunization office.

I’m on registration hold. What do I do now?

You should contact our Immunization and Insurance Navigators without delay. We can then explain why you are on hold and what you will need to do. Only the Immunization and Insurance Navigators can remove your hold. Because this involves your protected health information, we will NOT discuss this with third parties such as your school administration, professors, parents, or anyone else without your explicit consent.

If I become compliant will I be taken off hold automatically?

No. The process is not automatic; it typically takes about 24 hours for a hold to be removed once you have become compliant. Please contact our Immunization and Insurance Navigators at 215-746-WELL (9355) or send us a secure message via your Wellness Portal. Holds can only be removed during regular office hours. 

Do graduate students living off campus need to submit the immunization form AND documentation?

Non-healthcare graduate students living off campus can submit the immunization form OR documentation from a provider/previous University.

Healthcare graduate students must submit their immunization form AND documentation from a provider/previous University. 


What is Penn’s TB testing requirement?

All full-time Penn students must complete an online TB risk factor screening questionnaire. Only those students who are considered to be in a high risk group for TB infection will need to be tested. Our Immunization and Insurance Navigators will contact you if you need to be tested for TB.

Healthcare students are required to submit a two-step PPD. The first step can be accepted from a US provider in last 12 months. The second step must be completed at Student Health and Counseling. IGRA blood test (Quantiferon TB Gold or T-Spot-TB) taken within last six months can take place of the two-step PPD.

What are the options for TB testing?

Students whose TB screening questionnaire indicates that they need testing can either get a tuberculin skin test (also known as PPD) at Student Health and Counseling after they arrive on campus or they can get a TB blood test, such as the Quantiferon Gold or TSpotTB. Please note that Penn does not accept PPD tests that are administered outside of Student Health and Counseling. However, Penn does accept TB blood tests from outside healthcare providers that were performed within the past year (or within six months of entrance into Penn).

What if I have had a positive test for TB infection in the past?

Students with a history of latent or active TB must schedule an appointment at Student Health and Counseling, and provide documentation of positive PPD skin test or IGRA blood test. Students must also submit a copy of their negative radiology report (chest x-ray performed in the US). International chest x-rays are not accepted. Films and CDs are not accepted. TB symptom checks are required annually.

Do I have to be immunized against meningitis?

All incoming students who will be living in campus housing and who are age 21 or younger must submit proof of one dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine that covers serogroups A, C, Y, and W-135 since age 16. Incoming students living on campus who are over age 21 may either submit proof of vaccination since age 16 or submit the meningococcal immunization waiver.

I live off campus. Do I have to have meningococcal immunization or submit a waiver? 

No, you do not need to submit the waiver.

I’m told that I can’t have the third hepatitis B vaccine for several months after the 2nd dose. What do I do?

We don’t require the third vaccine until your second semester. We will give you the proper time to finish the vaccine series.

Does proof a Td vaccine satisfy the requirement for a Tdap vaccine?

No, a one-time dose of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and acellular pertussis) is required after age 10, with Tdap or Td boosters every 10 years thereafter. A Td vaccine alone does not satisfy this requirement. A DTP primary series is not accepted.

Requirements for Healthcare Students

What if I have a negative Hepatitis B titer after 2 full series?

Healthcare students who have a negative Hepatitis B titer after two full series must submit two completed three-dose series AND submit two negative titers AND schedule a primary care appointment with Student Health and Counseling upon arrival to campus.

What if I have a history of Hepatitis illness?

Healthcare students who have a history of Hepatitis illness must submit medical documentation and bloodwork reports AND schedule a primary care appointment with Student Health and Counseling upon arrival to campus.

What if I have more questions?

You can call our Immunization and Insurance Navigators at 215-746-WELL (9355), or send us a secure message via your Wellness Portal.